Apply to the 2023 Frieze New Writers Programme in Bergen, Norway [Deadline for applications: Friday 24 February 2023]Marilena Pateraki
Are you a new writer looking to develop as a critic? Interested in exploring different approaches to writing about art and searching for tips on how to get published? Applications are now open for the 2023 Frieze New Writers Programme in Bergen, Norway: a free-to-attend, three-day intensive course taking place from Friday 14 April to Sunday 16 April where a group of aspiring writers will have the opportunity to develop their skills with support from the frieze editorial team and our wider network of art-world professionals.
A series of workshops will offer practical advice on how and where to pitch, interview techniques and what makes a great profile or review. Gallery and studio visits will give participants insights into the art world and the people who shape it.
The course is open to emerging writers over the age of 18 from across the Nordic region, which includes Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. All participants will have full expenses covered, including travel, food and accommodation.
Each participant will have their work edited by editors of frieze, with an opportunity for their work to appear on frieze.com.
The deadline for applications is: 12 midnight (CET) Friday 24 February 2023. Read on for details on how to apply.
This initiative is part of Frieze’s wider commitment to amplifying diverse voices within the art world. Frieze is committed to practicing anti-discrimination including race, gender and disability, together with artists, writers and cultural practitioners from all backgrounds.
If you have any further questions, be sure to check out our FAQ page.
• The course is free-to-attend and applications are open to all aspiring arts writers based in the Nordic region (Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) over the age of 18.
• Writers should have published no more than three pieces of art writing in English.
• The course will take place in Bergen from Friday 14 April to Sunday 16 April
• The course has been devised to take place in person; if you have access needs, please let us know in your application email so that we can discuss them with you.
Applicants should submit:
• One unpublished piece of writing, no longer than 350 words. This should be a review of a recent art exhibition or an individual artwork.
• A 150-word statement about why you are applying to the course and what you hope to gain from it.
• Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Frieze New Writers 2023’ and your full name.
• Emails should include your full name, address and telephone number with country code. The texts can be submitted either in the body of the email or as an attachment. We accept .doc .docx .txt and .pdf formats.
• The deadline for submissions is: 12 midnight (CET) Friday 24 February 2023. Entries will not be considered if submitted after this deadline.
• We will let participants know whether they have been selected by 10 March 2023.
• We regret that we are not able to give feedback on unsuccessful applications, though you will be notified if you are not selected for the programme.
Participants will be selected by members of the frieze editorial team and a curator from Bergen Kunsthall.
Περισσότερα στο Freize