OPEN CALL: GET CONNECTED TO THE DIGITAL FLYING CARPET [27/2/2023 27, 09:00 to 23:30]Marilena Pateraki
The Digital Flying Carpet is calling for artists’ proposals. The Digital Flying Carpet is a project by Women Connected (WOCO) in collaboration with V2_Lab for the unstable media (V2_), Rotterdam. If your project is selected, you will work in collaboration with WOCO and V2_ on a digital dimension to the WOCO’s acclaimed project The Flying Carpet, during the spring and summer of 2023.
We ask interested artists to apply by means of a short video. Women Connected is the largest performing arts network for women in Rotterdam. WOCO makes meaningful theatrical installations and performances through the eyes of the many women in a multicultural city like Rotterdam. The Flying Carpet is a layered, two-year project, dedicated to connecting women from diverse cultures, backgrounds and ages through storytelling. From a life behind the scenes, to a starring role on stage.
The stories of the women form the basis for these connections. They are collected during textile workshops, meetings and rehearsals. WOCO is currently touring various neighborhood branches of the Rotterdam Library with a mobile textile studio. In addition to this tour, there are weekly rehearsals for the public theater shows in Theater Zuidplein, Theater Rotterdam and the New Luxor Theater. Together, these activities lead up to an important public moment, a large, visual art installation in the Central Library of Rotterdam, in November 2023.
The Digital Flying Carpet
In order to expand the concept of The Flying Carpet, WOCO is teaming up with V2_, an interdisciplinary center for art and media technology in Rotterdam, to develop a digital dimension to the project.
We seek proposals for participatory projects that inspire or make use of immersive storytelling techniques and related emerging technologies. We are particularly interested in projects or interventions that consider these technologies and techniques as collaborators in the narration of stories, rather than as a mere means to remediate them. How can technology be used to reinforce, explore, research or innovate the central elements of the Flying Carpet (transition, connection, fabric, textiles/crafts, homeland(s), identity and storytelling) and WOCO’s way of working?
During the working period in the spring and summer of 2023, the two artists whose projects are selected will collaborate closely with each other, WOCO and V2_ through expert meetings, attending and participating in WOCO-workshops, rehearsals and other community gatherings. Collaboration with the WOCO-community should be integral to the proposal. We expect a public presentation of the work-in-process at a Tryday on June 7th at V2_.
What we offer
– Two proposals will be selected and will be allocated a production budget each. The total production budget for each project is €10.000, which should cover materials, travel, artist fee, according to the principle of Fair Pay.
– The artists working on the projects will be given access to the production facilities of V2_, expert support from V2_ and WOCO.
Who can apply?
The call is open to anyone within a broad scope of artistic or (social) design practices. Both individuals as well as collectives can apply. We do not expect you to submit detailed blueprints for artworks, but rather an experimental attitude, ideas for the investigation of the WOCO themes mentioned above, and how these may result in workable prototypes. Given the diverse backgrounds within the WOCO-community and the participatory process, we particularly encourage artists with a strong interest in the multi-cultural dimension of (immersive) storytelling and related technologies to apply, regardless of gender or religion, ethnicity or age.
Dutch is not a requirement.
How to Apply?
Create a video of approximately three minutes in length, in which you explain your concept and how you would develop the project during the work period. Please clarify how the proposed project meets the central elements of The Flying Carpet and specify how you propose to engage with the WOCO-community.
Upload your video to a service such as YouTube or Vimeo. Note that YouTube allows you to create an unlisted video, and Vimeo allows you to set a password.
The application should include:
● your contact details.
● a link to your video.
● a brief description of the project
● the technical requirements of the project.
● your biography and portfolio.
Applications should be submitted in Dutch or English before February 27 th . Incomplete submissions and submissions received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
The Jury – consisting of members of staff of V2_ and Women Connected and external panelists
– will be assessing applications based on the following criteria:
– Artistic quality: based both of previous work by the artist(s) and the concept proposed.
– Relevance: the proposal should clearly state how digital technology is used or explored in relation to the central elements of The Flying Carpet and WOCO’s way of working: transition, connection, fabric, textiles/crafts, homeland(s), identity and storytelling.
– Collaboration and participation: Collaboration with the WOCO-community should beintegral to your proposal and it should be clear how members of this community will participate in your process. The jury will be asked to pay special attention to how the project includes or enhances the expertise present in the community and the participatory aspect of the project.
– Presentation: The proposal should make clear how the project could be presented at theTryday on June 7th at V2_ and in the Rotterdam Central Library in November 2023.
– General: The proposal’s originality, feasibility, and innovativeness (of the artistic and
technical approach) will be evaluated by the jury as well.
Application guidelines & practical information
– Deadline for submission of applications: February 27, 2023
– Announcement of the selection: March 8, 2023
– Working period: April 2023 – August 2023 : (duration: max 6 months) with the possibility to work offline at V2_ from 26 June to 14 August.
– Public presentation of the work-in-progress during Tryday on June 7th at V2_.